Top Stories
Trending

Alleged military brutality at Damongo leaves one in critical condition

Alleged military brutality at Damongo leaves one in critical condition

Alleged military brutality at Damongo leaves one in critical condition

An alleged military assault on some civilians at Damongo in

the West Gonja Municipality of the Savannah Region has

left one person in critical condition, and 17 others

including a military officer with minor injuries.

Sources close to JoyNews indicated that the military personnel,

after the attack, went to town in search of the

civilian who was in critical condition.

The group then forced the victim, who they alleged to be

responsible for assaulting their Second in Command,

to pay for the latter’s medical bills at the West Gonja Municipal Hospital

and another private health facility he was taken to.

READ ALSO:

According to available information, the brutality took place around 7:pm

on Monday, May 31, 2021, at the main entrance of the

Damongo Nurses Training College located between the

Savannah Regional Police Headquarters and the Military camp.

Giving more details, a witness said the incident started from the

bush where some 17 boys, who had been hired to load logs and

rosewood ahead of the deadline for the ban

on rosewood logging, were working.

The ban, placed by the Savannah Region REGSEC, is expected to

be enforced from today, Tuesday 1st June 2021 by

a task force comprising the police and some civilians.

But the Military, who are not part of the task force,

allegedly invaded the area and arrested all the 17 boys loading

the rosewoods before seizing their five motorbikes and 17 mobile

phones and later moved them to their camp where

they were allegedly assaulted till their release.

Continuing his narration, Bakari Nasiru, a witness told JoyNews

that shortly after the boys were released, the Military personnel

moved to the Damongo Nurses Training College

where more assaults on civilians took place.

READ ALSO:

Confirming the incident, the Savannah Regional Minister

told Joy News his attention was first drawn to the arrest of the 17 boys

who were loading the rosewoods and later the attacks last night.

On his part, the Regional Minister, Saeed Muhazu Jibril,

who initially wanted to link the attacks on the civilians to

an intended swoop by the Military in one of the Senior High Schools

to weed out intruders, said his outfit would investigate the issue.

Meanwhile, the timely intervention of some residents prevented an

assault on another civilian task force member,

Alhaji Yusif Gambo by the Military personnel.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button